There is nothing quite like starting off a crisp, cool fall day with a comforting bowl of perfectly cooked, creamy oatmeal topped with warm blueberries, melted white chocolate and toasted pecans. I know, it automatically makes your mouth water, doesn’t it?
Interestingly, I never used to eat oatmeal in the morning because I would find it would spike my blood sugar and I would end up hungry again a few hours later. Then I figured out that if I just added some extra fibre (in the form of flax meal), fat (tahini, nut butter and pecans) and protein (in the form of protein nut butter) I would have no problems staying full until lunch.
I also found that by simply adding a square of chocolate to my oats in the morning, I manage to satisfy my sweet tooth for the rest of the day and no longer have cravings for sugar when I get home from work (which used to be my witching hour). Sometimes a little sweetness at the beginning of they day helps make you feel less deprived and allows you to stay on track.
Blueberry Cobbler Oatmeal
Serves: 3 Prep Time: 5 mins Cooking Time: 6-7 mins
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla cashew milk
- pinch of sea salt
- 1-1 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1 1/2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tbsp homemade protein nut butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped white chocolate
- Place the oats in a small saucepan.
- Add the water, cashew milk and sea salt and let sit for 5 minutes to soak
- Bring to a boil, making sure to stir regularly so the oatmeal doesn’t burn, then down to low.
- Stir in tahini, maple syrup, vanilla, flaxseed, and continue to cook over low heat for another 5-6 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat and divide into three bowls. Top each bowl with blueberries, a tablespoon of nut butter, 1/2 tbsp of chopped pecans, and 1/2 tbsp of chopped white chocolate. Serve warm.