Fitness competitors eat a lot of asparagus and tilapia and for good reason. They are both low in calories, have anti-inflammatory properties, help boost immunity, and help reduce pain and inflammation. Asparagus is also a natural diuretic and an excellent source of fibre and is a popular peak week staple.
Now, while baked tilapia and steamed asparagus are super easy to make, they can taste incredibly boring and you can get sick of them really fast, especially if they play a prominent role in your diet. So, I like to find creative ways to jazz them up, and this recipe is one of my favourite ways to do that. Now I actually look forward to seeing fish and asparagus on my meal plan!
Breaded Tilapia With Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 5 mins Cooking Time: 12 mins
- 3 large tilapia filets
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp line juice
- 1/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground peppers, to taste
- 1 bundle asparagus (about 27 spears)
- 1 tbsp parmesan
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and dry asparagus and then break off the hard, woody ends.
- Place asparagus in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, parmesan, sea salt and pepper.
- Spread the asparagus out evenly onto a baking sheet while you prepare the tilapia.
- Mix together lime and mayo in a small bowl. Place tilapia filets onto a baking sheet.
- Season the tops of the tilapia with parsley, salt and pepper.
- Brush the mayo lime mixture onto the tops of the tilapia, then sprinkle with gluten-free breadcrumbs until lightly coated.
- Turn the filets over onto the other side and repeat steps 6 and 7.
- Place both asparagus and tilapia trays into the oven next to each other.
- After 12-15 mins check asparagus and if ready, remove from the oven. Then, check on the tilapia, which may need another 5-7 more minutes of cooking time. The tilapia should no longer be translucent inside and will flake easily when pierced with a fork.
- Serve immediately.
Gluten-free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free